Old 26-04-2003, 12:25 PM
Oz

Default Pesticides and farm kids

Wayne Parrott writes
Oz wrote:
Brian H. writes

The point I was attempting to make(obviously not very well) was
agricultural workers ingress unknown quantities of chemicals.

They shouldn't, unless they are both stupid and careless.

That is a really a very very limited world view. How about if the farmers cannot
read labels in English, or are illiterate and uneducated, and there no
government agencies that enforce safety?

That is something for the local government.
I positively refuse to accept my careful use of pesticides should be
further controlled because third world governments do not control their
use properly.

In many developing tropical countries,
it is common to see pesticides applied to excess by folks who cannot readthe
labels on the imported chemicals, who have no protective clothing,and who have
no way to wash the residues off their person. There is a large world out there,
and the living/farming conditions are not always pretty.

This may very well be.
Write to the governments of the countries involved then.

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.