Old 17-05-2014, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Variegated sycamore pictures

On Fri, 16 May 2014 18:58:58 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/fo...ad.php?t=82839

-E

Very nice. Puget Pink and Miracle Rose are particularly attractive -
especially with the leaves being somewhat more divided than the ordinary
sycamore.

But they are /still/ sycamores! Are any of them sterile (which would
make them much more attractive)?

Hi Jeff,

Puget Pink is a seed strain now, not a real cultivar, and so unreliable.
Miracle Rose is much better and unlike some of the other pinks the new
growth is _always_ very pink, so it has a second showy period in July.
But Miracle Rose is rare; a more popular cultivar which resembles but
more reliable than Puget is 'Prinz Handjery.'

Excellent question about sterility. I don't know if any can truly be said
to be sterile, but perhaps "as good as" many set few seeds. I haven't
seen any seed at all on the slow growing shrubby cultivars, but that's
not to say there won't eventually be some. Still not like the native
sycamores... I massacre tens of thousands of the seedlings every spring
and they still have a habit of showing up, roots well set, under a shrub
or in a bed (always the most inconvenient place).

cheers,

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy