Old 18-05-2014, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sacha sacha is offline

Default Ping Sacha

On 2014-05-18 08:52:00 +0000, AriesVal said:

Seeking your advice please. Tony and I are looking to plant mainly
evergreen container shrubs that will look interesting at different
times of the year. Have to be container grown as we inherited full
borders of mature shrubs, roses and trees when we moved here 5 years
ago. Our large decking area could do with prettying up although
presently it has container grown veggies flourishing on it. Grateful
for any suggestions.

Phormiums, some of the Heucheras, Myrtus ugni, rosemaries,(my
preference is R. Marenca) small Euonymus (variegated and growing to
about 2') Pittosporum tobira nano, Pittosporum Tom Thumb, Coprosma
repens, Ceanothus thyrsiflorus var. repens. Camellias won't be happy
in containers for all that long. Hostas die down but can look
spectacular in a container and it might help keep slugs away. The same
goes for cardoons (Cynara cardunculus) which die back but have enormous
artichoke type leaves and, in a very large container look astoundingly
good, with the bonus of a dramatic, purple, thistle-like flower in late
summer.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com