Old 18-05-2014, 11:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Well , if it ever ...

Terry Coombs wrote:
quits raining and warms up , maybe my garden would take off ! I
guess I shouldn't complain , we've started harvesting some lettuce
and bok choy . The tomatoes have recovered from the freeze that hit
the night after I planted them - well , the ones that survived . I
had to replace 8 plants , but 4 of those would have survived if I'd
left them alone . Patience might be a virtue , but it ain't one of
mine ... I replaced the dead/dying with some Roma's at my wife's
request , she wants to make ketchup or something . That leaves 4
Rutgers and 7 Beefsteak , so we'll still have plenty for the table
and neighbors ... . Everything else seems to be doing well ,
though slow because it's been chilly and wet . Some of my corn is
almost a foot tall , all my vine stuff squashes and melons is
sprouting , and for the first time I've got strawberries to grow . We
had a part-bag of taters , looked all wrinkled and too ugly to eat so
I planted them . Might be another first for me !

Here in the antipodes we are having a record late warm autumn. No frost
yet. The leaves are just turning now. The tomatos and capsicum are still
going but slowly. The winter crops, mainly brassicas, are powering on but I
have had to net them to keep the cabbage butterfly off as it is too warm for
them to die.