Old 19-05-2014, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Forsythia or ...... ?

On 19/05/2014 08:08, 'Mike' wrote:
My wife, the gardener, has been given a plant claimed to be a Forsythia, but
it is different from the ones we have and we cannot find trace of it in her
books.

http://www.myalbum.co.uk/Album-K8KHI...-of-Other.html

Picture one shows the plant. Picture two shows a leaf from an existing known
Forsythia alongside a Hawthorn leaf.

RHS Manual shows nothing like it nor does a search on the www.

Any experts out there who can tell us what it is?

Mike

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk

I doubt it's a Forsythia. Looks more like Ribes odoratum, but not quite
the same. Trouble is, you've got a photo of a very young plant, and its
juvenile leaves may not be quite the same as those on an adult plant.

They both flower more or less at the same time of year with yellow
flowers. But the flower shape is different, the Ribes flowers appear
along with the leaves, and they have a strong clove scent. Some photos here
:http://awaytogarden.com/the-clove-cu...-ribes-aureum/

--

Jeff