Old 19-05-2014, 01:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Strange bugs on Blackcurrants

Glenys said:
We have some wierd things living on one of our blackcurrant bushes!
I have enclosed the only pjhoto I could find of it on the web, but it
had no discription, so am still in the dark.

It looks abit like the shell of a wood louse, but under it is a thick
lump of what appears to be white gloop, but when it is disturbed, the
white bit pulls out like sticky silk/candyfloss fibre.

Any suggestions, eradications, and if there are any natural predators we
can introduce instead.

|Filename: Untitled-1.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php

attachmentid=16011|

Hard to tell as the photo is small, but I am thinking it's cottony cushion
scale.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7410.html

--
Pat in Plymouth MI