Old 20-05-2014, 12:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Forest Rats Strike !

Drew Lawson wrote:
In article
"Terry Coombs" writes:

So this afternoon I'll be using 8 of my new 5' tall tomato cages to
try to keep the deer from eating my trees . Hope it works , because
they're skinny this time of year and not very good eatin' .

I've had good results against white tails with Natural Fence -- a
spray based on rotten eggs. It smells nasty going on, and you don't
want the wind to shift on you. Once it dries it is mostly odorless
and keeps the deer eating the neighbor's plants.

That's until we hit drought. They don't care what food smells like
when they are starving.

I just ordered a gallon of fish emulsion based on the premise that it too
is protein-based same reason they don't like egg/milk based treatments
plus it'll feed my plants .
Actually , if that deer this morning had been a buck , it'd probably be in
my freezer by now . But it was a doe , and I won't kill a doe this time of
year , might have a baby out in the woods nearby .
--
Snag