Old 20-05-2014, 12:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Forest Rats Strike !

Terry Coombs wrote:
While sippin' my second cuppa this morning my wife started hollering
for me to come to the kitchen . She points out the window and it
takes me a second to realize there's a whitetail doe munching on my
lettuce ! Time to start taking steps I guess ... and then we start
discussing the damage I thought insects were doing to our new fruit
trees ... yup , the forest rats have been at them too . I mean , it's
not like there's a shortage of succulent new growth for the buggers
to eat ! The woods here are just bustin' out all kinds of green , why
oh why do they have to eat the stuff I grow for me ??

Perhaps they are like goats who are telepathic. A goat will get into your
garden and then pick out of your mind your most prized possession, the plant
that is most valuable and hard to replace. Then they head straight for it
leaving all else alone until the target is destroyed.

David