Old 22-05-2014, 01:02 AM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Cut leaves part-way?

Higgs Boson wrote:

Sorry if I'm asking something I "should" know, but all these many years of gardening,
I've never understood whether it's OK to cut part-way off leaves that are dried and
ugly from the tips half-way down. Does it upset the plant (Clivia is what I'm on about
at the moment) if I "clean up" the look of the flower bed? Will the remaining part of
the leaf continue to feed the plant? Or does cutting off part of a leaf degrade its
function?

If just a few leaves out of hundreds I'd simply pinch them off for
aethetic reasons, but if many leaves are browning I'd think it would
be much more important to find out why.