Old 22-05-2014, 04:34 AM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Cut leaves part-way?

On Wednesday, May 21, 2014 5:37:12 PM UTC-7, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 22/05/2014 9:07 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

On Wednesday, May 21, 2014 2:40:23 PM UTC-7, David E. Ross wrote:

On 5/21/2014 2:01 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Sorry if I'm asking something I "should" know, but all these many years of gardening, I've never understood whether it's OK to cut part-way off leaves that are dried and ugly from the tips half-way down.

Does it upset the plant (Clivia is what I'm on about at the moment) if I "clean up" the look of the flower bed? Will the remaining part of the leaf continue to feed the plant?

Or does cutting off part of a leaf degrade its function?

TIA

HB

I generally leave a small margin of dead leaf, about 1/2 inch. I think

the remaining leaf cannot be affected since anything in the dead area

already stopped contributing any substances produced during the dying.

On the other hand, cutting into the live or currently dying portion of a

leaf might promote further dying.

Yikes!!! I DID cut into live portion!!! Over-zealous tidying up?

Anybody have solid info about whether that "might promote further dying" ?References?

I agree with David Ross.

Dead is dead. Live parts on a leaf would still function to feed the

plant.

? How does that address what David said? His practice, if I read it right, was to leave a tiny bit of dead leaf because cutting into the live MIGHT be deleterious to plant.

HB