Old 22-05-2014, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim S Jim S is offline

Default Pyracantha problem

On Thu, 22 May 2014 16:10:21 +0100, Spider wrote:

On 14/05/2014 20:25, Jim S wrote:
I have a pyracantha (firethorn) about 5/6 years old. Last year, and again
now, the leaves have appeared thin and curled-in and although they don't
fall off I can clearly see the black bark between the thin foliage. The
flowers on the other hand don't form properly before withering.
I sprayed with a systhane fungicide, but it was either too late or the
wrong stuff. It made it no worse, but no better.
I am in the North-East and firethorn is used by the local council as
hedging so it should be fine.
Any ideas, as I am on the point of digging it up?

Just seen this. My garden is surrounded by Pyracantha so I am familiar
with a few of the problems. The poorly formed flowers are due to
Pyracantha Scab, so I suspect that's your main problem.

Try feeding your shrub with an Ericaceous feed (for acid-loving plants),
as they do enjoy some acidity in the soil. You may also wish to repeat
the fungicide treatment, but read the advice in the RHS link first:-

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Advice/profile?PID=265

Hope this helps.

Me too :0?
--