Old 23-05-2014, 11:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default weird second year parsley

Todd wrote:
Hi All,

My second year Italian Parsley looks really weird.
Others of my customers, that actually know what they
are doing, showed me theirs, and it looks the same:
big stems, small leaves, flowers (if you can call them
that) at the top.

Questions:

1) what parts do you eat, just the small leaves?

2) what do you cut? The stem all the way to the ground?

Many thanks,
-T

It is preparing to die, there is nothing you can do about it, there is no
reason to cut anything other than to eat. Or dig out the whole plant and
make way for something else. All the leaves are still edible. I tend to
use the larger leaves rather than the feathery little ones but that is just
preference. Plant more soon if you want parsley and for an assured supply
in future plant at least yearly.