Old 24-05-2014, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ceanothus odd green leaves

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:

But I'm reluctantly coming round to agree with NM's comments. Despite
ceanothus being described as a maritime plant (it comes from
California), it's not a plant suitable for exposed coastal gardens in
Cornwall where humidity is always high and salt gales regularly sweep
in and cause devastation. I shan't be planting any more.

I shall have to see how my new one does, but the previous one
(thyrsiflorus, I think) wasn't phased by Cambridge winters,
and they were colder then than they are at present. I have
half the rainfall, no salt and sandy soil.

Incidentally, California has a solely continental climate,
despite the misinformation commonly posted. Even San Francisco
itself has - and its microclimate is due to the interaction of
the ocean with the continental climate. The only places in the
USA with a maritime climate are a thin coastal strip of Alaska,
the Florida peninsula and Hawaii.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.