Old 25-05-2014, 08:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Salix Salix is offline

Default Plant ID Please

Willi_9 wrote in :

Salix;1002446 Wrote:
Could anyone ID this plant, please? It's growing in a garden in
Fredericksburg Texas, but my guess is it isn't native to the area. TIA!
--
Salix

It is a variety of 'paeonia lactiflora' (peony), most probably labelled
'Sorbet' at nurseries. Peonies are originating from China, but they have
been grown in Europe for a long time. I guess that is also true for the
U.S..

Thank you! I've never seen one in a local nursery. The current owner of
the garden couldn't ID it, but said it was planted by the garden's
original owner, who often purchased plants from catalogs. It's very
showy, and looks as if it would require large volumes of water, but it
seems to be tolerating irrigation restrictions under the current drought
quite well. Thanks again for the ID!
--
Salix