Old 25-05-2014, 10:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] non.ad.hominem@gmail.com is offline

Default Rose of Sharon - pruning?

On Monday, February 17, 2014 4:28:10 PM UTC, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
On 2/13/2014 3:42 PM, Jeff Thies wrote:

On 2/13/2014 6:29 AM, wrote:

On Saturday, March 30, 1996 8:00:00 AM UTC, UKSKIER wrote:

I desperately need advice on when to prune rose of sharons. I planted

these twiggy looking babies summer of 94 and 95 and they're just

tall and

straggly. I wasn't sure if it's okay to prune them now - since

they don't

bloom til July. If so, how should I do it? Can I cut back quite

severely. I really want them to bush up and give me a bit of a

privacy

screen.

Thank you - Pat

yeah i agree sharon, you rock!

The only way I know to kill rose of sharon is to dig it up. You may

just want to prune before they set blossoms.

I wish I had that problem. In Minnesota, trying to get rose of sharon

to successfully overwinter is a challenge. The fact that it's a

late-summer/early autumn bloomer here makes the effort worthwhile.

I AGREE!