Old 26-05-2014, 01:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Blackberry update

On 5/25/2014 4:36 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
The berry patch looks like a a snowdrift ... They're blooming like mad , and
they're loaded with fruit . It looks like clumping them is going to make it
a lot easier to bloodlessly harvest them . Actually , it's going to be a
good year for all the wil;d fruits here . Muscadines are loaded with fruit ,
blueberries actually low-bush huckleberries for those who're anal about
names are loaded with fruit too . I'm watching the Mayflowers a mandrake
species too , but see no blossoms yet . Might be because of the late cold
snap - there are tons of these scattered on our land , and if they do fruit
this year we'll be making some jelly .
And I'll be getting our first beehive next week ... I'm so excited about
our garden/orchard/wild fruits this year I could just explode !

I've not seen a low bush huckleberry in about 50 years or more. I reckon
in my part of SE Texas the locals got carried away with mowing and
clearing. I used to love those things back in the forties and fifties,
we had never heard of or seen a real blueberry back then. We used to
harvest Mayflowers too. Muscadines are always good, we also had a wild
grape, rather small, that we called a Possum grape because the possums
were always in them. I'm jealous.

George