Old 26-05-2014, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Blackberry update

George Shirley wrote:
On 5/25/2014 4:36 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
The berry patch looks like a a snowdrift ... They're blooming like
mad , and they're loaded with fruit . It looks like clumping them is
going to make it a lot easier to bloodlessly harvest them .
Actually , it's going to be a good year for all the wil;d fruits
here . Muscadines are loaded with fruit , blueberries actually
low-bush huckleberries for those who're anal about names are loaded
with fruit too . I'm watching the Mayflowers a mandrake species
too , but see no blossoms yet . Might be because of the late cold
snap - there are tons of these scattered on our land , and if they
do fruit this year we'll be making some jelly . And I'll be
getting our first beehive next week ... I'm so excited about our
garden/orchard/wild fruits this year I could just explode !

I've not seen a low bush huckleberry in about 50 years or more. I
reckon in my part of SE Texas the locals got carried away with mowing
and clearing. I used to love those things back in the forties and
fifties, we had never heard of or seen a real blueberry back then. We
used to harvest Mayflowers too. Muscadines are always good, we also
had a wild grape, rather small, that we called a Possum grape because
the possums were always in them. I'm jealous.

George

We have possum grapes here too , but I haven't seen any on our land -
doesn't mean there aren't any , just that I haven't seen 'em . I plan to
rectify that situation . The neighbor down the road has a nice patch at the
foot of his driveway , when the time is right I'll be getting a start from
him . Actually , I think I can clip a stem at any time and dip it in rooting
powder ... but right now I have my plate somewhat overloaded , with the
garden , the orchard , and building a house - plus running the machine shop
part time .
--
Snag