Old 25-05-2014, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clover in lawns

Having watched with amazement as to how robust clover is on my horrid
clay soil, particularly in dry times, I cleared the moss (powered
verticutter) and merrily scattered lots of clover seeds about (various
whites and a red).

Clover may not be to everyone's taste, but I rather like it in a non
ornamental family lawn on difficult ground. It mows nicely and maintains
a pleasant green cover.

They are starting to emerge nicely.

I read somewhere that to maintain it, I need to let it flower and seed
once in a while as the original plant is not that long lived.

I wondered if there was any truth in that and if so, how often I should
let it seed?

On an aside, regarding the nitrogen fixing abilities - does that benefit
the soil if the plant is allowed to live? All the things about planting
clover in agriculture usually assume it gets ploughed in in the next season.

Cheers

Tim