Old 26-05-2014, 01:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Frank is offline

Default ratcoon

On 5/25/2014 11:37 PM, phorbin wrote:
In article ,
says...
Frank wrote:
Keeping in standards for naming the garden pests.
On my deck after sunset. I've got a lot of small plants and seedlings
out. Opened slider to yell at him and all he did was move to the side.
Went in to get firecrackers and he was off deck by then but I still
popped off a couple. Ratcoon is too big for my Hav-a-hart.

we've tried to trap them here too with a large
live-trap, but rarely do they get caught. they
are certainly the most active and varied critter
raiding all sorts of things. i've seen them
climb up the poles in the back to check the few
very small nest boxes for eggs/chicks. not an
easy climb as the poles are 7-8ft.

they are usually the culprits when the killdeer
eggs get raided. a few nights ago they found the
nest out front with 4 eggs in it. all gone now.
about every other year the killdeer put their
nest inside the fenced garden and in there they
have a much better chance of surviving.

songbird

I catch raccoons and skunks whenever I forget to close a trap for the night.

'peanut butter bait for skunks, raccoons, groundhogs, squirrels, and sometimes
roaming cats.

When I bought my Hav-a-hart several years ago I got the trap big enough
for a ground hog but there was a bigger one that could catch raccoons.
I've caught the smaller ones many times but as I pointed out if animal
is too big trap will not close. Peanut butter does catch everything.
Never got a cat but I once did get a bird.

My first ground hog trap was home made. It is easy to do just framing
in a wooden box with chicken wire with a sliding door at one end and
trigger inside the box. I got stymied when I caught a skunk because I
had a latch that could only be released by getting right next to the trap.