Old 26-05-2014, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clover in lawns

On 26/05/14 08:24, Chris Hogg wrote:

I encourage clover in my lawn, to the extent of scattering seed and
taking 'cores' from clover-rich patches and re-planting in the
deficient areas, using a bulb planter. I find that clover stays green
during long dry spells, when the grass around it goes brown. Nor does
it require feeding. I also like it when it flowers, and the bees love
it. But you do have to use the right sort. Many clovers these days are
produced for agricultural use, for cattle to graze and to improve the
quality of silage, hay, green manure etc. The are too vigorous and
grow too high. You need to use Trifolium repens. It spreads by
creeping runners as well as seed, and stays low.

Interesting - thanks Chris.

I got mine from he

http://www.meadowmania.co.uk/green-manures.htm

They don't give the formal names - but if it doesn't turn out well, I
can knock it back with a selective weedkiller and try again next year.