Old 27-05-2014, 03:19 AM posted to rec.gardens
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default weird second year parsley

On 26/05/2014 2:09 PM, Todd wrote:
On 05/25/2014 04:46 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 25/05/2014 5:19 AM, Todd wrote:

I took a close look at them yesterday. The leaves are really
tiny. I think I will go with your recommendation and just
pull them out. And, a packet of parsley seeds in around
$1.50 or less.

The cost of seed is irrelevant when considering reasons to save seed.
Seed saved in your own garden will be acclimatised to your specific
locality and not where the seed company grows their seed. It's about
increased resilience of YUOR garden crops and increased self reliance.
Or so I believe.

Hi Fran,

Not sure how, genetically speaking, how collecting seeds
would make them better for my area.

They adapt as they go through the cycle of sprouting, living, setting
seed, dieing. Good old basic science of natural selection.

But, definitely is more
self reliant. Kind of fun too. I have been collecting
my own Hollyhock seeds for years. A few times I have
seen pretty Hocks and asked the owners if I could pinch
a few seeds pods. I have some of the most beautiful
flowers.

Thank you for teaching me. I have such a black thumb!

Nah. If you can grow anything at all you are just like the rest of us -
you are in the learning phase. That goes on till you die (or it should)