Old 26-04-2003, 12:25 PM
Aozotorp

Default Low cholesterol beef, humane handling"touch", behavior modifacation

"Jim Webster" wrote in message

Gordon Couger wrote in message
I could only find 3 Holstisine steers sold this week listed as such

but most
steers that size would not go through the sale they would be marked

direct
to a feed lot or they could be culled out of bunch headed for the lot

for
some reason for for some reason.

Holsteins: Large 3 720 lbs 60.00; 760 lbs plain 56.00; 940 lbs 59.25.

Holstiens would sell on the low end of #3's.

Here is the weekly summery for Oklahoma city. It seems no matter what
happens to fat prices the price of light calves stays up. I guess that
someone is always optimistic.

Gordon

thanks for the figures, I'll follow them up.

Just spent this evening in a high quality butchers shop chatting to the
guy, we are talking serious meat. He is into all sorts of things to
attact attention, one for christmas is three birds in one. You get your
turkey, stuffed with breasts of duck, pheasant and guinea fowl plus a
forcemeat.
Walk into his prepared meats cold room and the smell just makes you feel
so hungry

I sure wish I could find someplace like that. The meat here is getting more
and more uniformly unfit to eat. This economic downturn Albertson's replaced
their Certified Angus Beef with a much cheaper product and try to get the
same price. CAB is not the best beef I ever ate but it close. They do
unbelievably well for something that died that young and lean. But that's
back to taste.

I talked with my friend form outside London and he says you can find
anything on earth there. It must be nice living were you have a history that
you don't know people that made it

Gordon

This fall I bought my Beef half from the THIRTEEN MILE LAMB & WOOL COMPANY =
Best Tasting Grass Fed Beef I ever Tasted!

http://www.lambandwool.com/beef.html

MONTANA GRASS FED BEEF

Young, tender and grass-fed: the basic elements of Thirteen Mile beef are same
as for our lamb. Why beef at Thirteen Mile Lamb & Wool Company? We started our
small herd of cattle in 2001 for several reasons. Our customers asked for beef
along with their lamb; multi-species grazing helps us with grass and parasite
management; and we like raising calves.

For more information on grass-fed meat, see our Questions section and a website
called eatwild.com (see links page). Here is the essential information on
Thirteen Mile Beef:

The cows came onto our ranch under our organic management in the summer of
2001. We fed them some purchased hay last winter (our own hay supplies were
limited by drought), but they are grazing organic pasture this spring and
summer.

The calves, like the lambs, grow up on milk and grass. No antibiotics,
hormones, chemical pesticides, animal byproducts, or GMOs in their diet or
their mothers' diet. We anticipate organic certification of our beef this Fall.

We bought our cows from our former sheep shearer and his wife, when they
realized they could no longer support their 'family' of cattle on their
drought-stricken land in central Montana. We adopted this gentle clan of bovine
beasts with the understanding that quiet handling and easygoing genetics are
good not only for cattle and rancher sanity, but are also reliable indicators
of meat tenderness.

There are two options for beef purchases: (1) Standard Beef --18 to 24
month-old steers, wintered over one season on hay and finished on our organic
pasture to a live weight of about 1000 lbs., or (2) Thirteen Mile Young Beef
--February-born calves, butchered in the Fall of the same year after a summer
with milk and pasture at a live weight of 600 - 700 lbs. Option (1) is closer
to the standard age of commercial beef, but our steers have never been kept in
a feedlot and have never been fed grain. Option (2) allows us to supply
especially tender and mild beef with the maximum benefits of pasture. This red
meat is not veal; the calves are free-range pasture animals raised with their
mothers and sunshine. The beneficial conjugated linoleic acids (CLAs) are
highest in the meat when the animals are eating green pasture, and selling our
calves as Young Beef allows us to avoid selling any feeder cattle into the
mega-feedlot/grain infrastructure. The modern feedlot regime is dubious for the
health of animals, humans and the planet; with the help of our customers, we
bypass that system.

The beef is processed at a USDA-inspected and OCIA certified organic plant in
Great Falls, Montana and shipped by air via Federal Express, or delivered
locally if possible.
Mickey's Packing Plant uses modern cryovac packaging equipment with heavy-duty
plastic wrap
You can purchase a half, quarter, or sample box of beef (25 pounds).
If you're looking for more variety in a gift-pack--or you just want to check
things out for yourself, try a Thirteen Mile Sampler package--- a selection of
beef, lamb and a hat made from our wool.
Supplies are limited, so PLEASE ORDER EARLY!

We are now taking orders for Young Beef and Standard Beef.

BEEF PRICES:

Prices below are for cut and cryovaced (vacuum wrapped and sealed), frozen beef
in the sampler packages. For larger quantities of meat (quarters and halves of
beef), we recommend the double-paper wrap to withstand the longer term storage
and shifting around in a family freezer.

Half Standard Beef (~215 lbs of meat) $3.40/pound
Quarter Standard Beef (~107 lbs of meat - 30 lbs. steaks, 20 lbs. roasts, 50
lbs. burger, 7 lbs. stew meat, short ribs, and soup bones) $3.60/pound
Half Young Beef (~146lbs of meat) $3.90/pound
Quarter Young Beef (~73 lbs of meat - 19 lbs. steaks, 21 lbs. roasts, 26 lbs.
burger, 7 lbs. short ribs and soup bones) $4.10/pound
Young Beef Sampler (25 lbs. of meat including roasts, steaks, and burger)
$4.20/pound
Thirteen Mile Sampler (25 lbs of Young Beef & lamb & a wool hat) $4.90/pound

Shipping costs are added to the prices listed above. Shipping rates vary
greatly depending on the size and destination of FedEx packages, so we will
determine shipping costs at the time of your order. In general , per pound
shipping cost is greater for small packages.

Picking it up would be cheaper of course!