Old 28-05-2014, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default controlling hogweed

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

Glyphosate is actually grass-specific, and will kill grass at levels
that leave most other plants alive. The only one more effective that
I know of is brushwood killer - but even that doesn't kill established
trees and shrubs in one go.

The one thing apart from waxy plants I find it ineffective against is
buttercup. I have killed some larger areas with glyphosate and always
noticed that afterwards the buttercup is quickly back in business.

It has never killed regrowth from stumps for me, and kills field
bindweed only after several years' use. I have heard that horsetail
is also essentially immortal.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.