Old 28-05-2014, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default controlling hogweed

On 28/05/2014 14:14, Emery Davis wrote:
On Wed, 28 May 2014 14:08:39 +0100, Spider wrote:

Have you tried Pathclear yet? It should persist for longer than
straight Glyphosate and it inhibits germination of seeds.

Hi Spider,

Does pathclear turn inactive when it hits the soil? I have a lot of
surface rooting trees, so don't want to damage roots.

Thanks!

-E

I was just about to check, but the others have got there first. Sorry,
Emery, it looks as if you can't use it safely near your trees.

It might help if you could stop the flowerheads before they form, so
that there is no seed to increase the problem, but I appreciate that is
difficult when you're not on site full time. It looks like digging it
out and laying ground sheets are the only answers. Best to start that
at the beginning of the year, when ground sheets will starve it of
light. Once the ground is covered, you can mulch thickly to disguise
the sheet which will look fairly decorative and keep your trees happy.

I can't help wondering, though, if you could use Pathclear as a barrier
between the offending field and your own plot to help keep the hogweed
at bay?
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London