Old 28-05-2014, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default controlling hogweed

On Wed, 28 May 2014 15:29:59 +0100, Spider wrote:

I was just about to check, but the others have got there first. Sorry,
Emery, it looks as if you can't use it safely near your trees.

Thanks Spider and others. I feared that was the case. I'm very leery of
2,4D; I don't use any sort of lawn weed+feed since they usually contain
it.

It might help if you could stop the flowerheads before they form, so
that there is no seed to increase the problem, but I appreciate that is
difficult when you're not on site full time. It looks like digging it
out and laying ground sheets are the only answers. Best to start that
at the beginning of the year, when ground sheets will starve it of
light. Once the ground is covered, you can mulch thickly to disguise
the sheet which will look fairly decorative and keep your trees happy.

OK, looks like more digging is in my future! (The more things
change...)

I can't help wondering, though, if you could use Pathclear as a barrier
between the offending field and your own plot to help keep the hogweed
at bay?

Thanks, but not practical. Anyway I don't think it would work: deer love
the seed heads, then come into the garden and spread them. Not to
mention most of the hogweed is upwind of the garden proper, so the wind
will probably bring seeds in too.

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy