Old 29-05-2014, 01:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Seed life

Todd wrote:

Hi Moe,

Not to ask too basic a question, but do seeds need to "breath"?
(Do they need a source of air?)

Until they start to germinate the amount of oxygen they need is miniscule,
for practical purposes zero, so they will be quite happy in a sealed
container for a long time. I imagine this is dependent on temperature to
some degree. Note that if you do want them to germinate properly they do
need air as their metabolism starts up and they converts stored starches and
oils into new plant tissue, inhaling oxygen and exhaling CO2.

And, do you have to be careful not the "Freeze" them (water
in the seed crystallizing)?

Apparently freezing is OK. The seed vault at Svalbard is kept at -18C
(about 0 F) with seeds in sealed packets. I wouldn't be repeatedly freezing
and thawing them however, as might happen in an outbuilding in a cold
climate. For most purposes cool dry conditions will suffice. The more
important part is the dry.