Old 29-05-2014, 06:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Strawberry runners

Higgs Boson wrote:
Late with everything this year, so bought some strawberry plants.

2 Sequoia ever-bearing (I think) - standard here in So. Calif.

2 .June bearing. Nursery guy said not limited to June in this
climate.

The Junies have runners galore. I was taught that one should cut off
the runners for plant to retain "strength", and that runners could be
planted to get new plant.Or should I plant them far apart so runners
can root themselves?

Nursery guy thought don't cut off runners. Does he know what he's
talking about?

Yes. Allow space for them to expand, spread the runners outwards from the
crowns and after a year or two you will have 3-4 times as many plants.