Old 30-05-2014, 07:06 AM posted to rec.gardens
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default Seed life

Fran Farmer wrote:
One of these gardeners also told me
that dog poo was a superb fertiliser under lemon trees. Can't say
I've ever
been tempted to try that one but since he was a gardener who worked
for many years at Government House then he should have had some
knowledge and skills.

Where did all these dogs come from at Government House?

I wrote that he was a gardener at Government House. I don't know if he
ever put dog poop under the trees at Government House. He had years of
experience as a gardener both as a wage earner and as a non paid home
gardener. His home garden was wonderful. I'd always assumed that it
was his home trees that had the dog poop under them but must admit that
I didn't specifically ask at the time and he's now dead.

He also advocated the use of banana peel and the water left over in the
pot that vegetables had been cooked in as great for plants. I've
recently taken up this latter tip and it's brought back to (relatively)
lush life a poor suffering camellia and another small flowering plant at
the base of the stairs off my front deck.

Regardless of that, the lemon trees at Government House are very good
ones. Quite amazing really when you consider the climate in which they
grow.

The explanation
is that there are few conveniences in the rather large grounds of
Government House.

Not so - there are excellent dunnies in the grounds at GH.

Its due to gardeners' piddle.

Possibly that is why the lemons at GH are so good.