Old 31-05-2014, 12:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Seed life

Todd wrote:
On 05/29/2014 10:54 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 30/05/2014 3:53 AM, Dan.Espen wrote:
Todd writes:

On 05/28/2014 12:27 PM, Dan.Espen wrote:
I can't see how anyone can be "Paleo/diabetic".
The first part is the weird idea that eating like a caveman is
good for you. The second part is a disease.

Hi Dan,

Paleo keeps you from getting T2 Diabetes. It also helps
you heal from it.

Also, T2 Diabetes is not a "disease". It is an "injury"
(carbohydrate poisoning) and it is self inflicted.
I speak from experience.

You are stating your opinions as if they are facts.

Something odd is going on in the US when it comes to 'carbs'. It's
like 'carbs' have become the new anti-Çhrist. 'Low carbing' is
highly fashionable.

After having tried to get sense out of someone who I had thought was
bright, curious and could do research, I decided that I'd no longer
bother trying to make any sense of what people believe when it comes
to what they eat and the reasons for why they eat what they do.

Hi Fran,

One in six of us are getting T2 Diabetes. The Diabetes Association
is predicting it will go down to one and three (though I think they
may have dubious motives). It is directly linked to the over
consumption of carbs. It doesn't fall out of the sky and hit you
in the head.

Carbs are fine, when consumed in the quantities that were available
in our ancestral diet (99% of human history), which was extremely
varied. We now have gotten too cleaver for ourselves and have
hybridized plants to produce artificial amounts of carbohydrates
that do not occur naturally in nature. I think this all came about
when we discovered beer and hybridized grains for better beer.
So the poison in truly in the dosage.

There is a part of your brain called the satiation switch
that makes us happy when we eat carbs. Only problem is
that it is designed for our ancestral diet, not the
artificially hybridized diet of today. Carbs become very,
very addictive. They are cheap to produce, which makes
the special interests push the damned things.

Oh do you know the scoundrels a the USDA think I should
be eating 400 grams of carbs a day! (I am between 30 and 60,
and health folks should probably keep it under 100.)
Talk about corruption and palm waxing! There is so much
money in cheap food like substances (carbs).

And this goes way beyond a fad. It is a major health problem.
I know one man it killed. He refused to stop eating carbs.
I know another man who told me how to abuse drugs (insulin)
so he could eat pie. He now has lost both legs, lost his
kidneys (he is on the transplant list), had a major heart
attack. It is going to kill him and a lot of people
love and depend on him. And he still won't dump the carbs.
This is a horrible addiction.

I think part of the "Fad" part you are pointing out is that folks
have noticed that you can not get fat on fat (use or lose). To
get fat required insulin (the fat hormone) and carbs. So fat
bigotry has some to play with it. The weight loss industry
is a bunch of so and so's. And society's attitude towards
fat people is scurrilous.

Now if you are in the five out of six, do worry about it. If
you start to gain weight and/or pee a lot, then worry.
(Remember that skinny people get T2 as well.) Also, if
you are suddenly starting to lose weight for no reason and
your idiot friends start to tell you how good you look
(like mine did). WORRY BIG TIME!

The good news is that you can recover from carbohydrate poisoning
(T2 Diabetes). And you can live a completely normal life, as I
and others do, without drugs or allopaths.

And, when you get off the high carbs, your satiation switch
will reset and you will suddenly start to taste subtleties
you never even know were there. My eyes role when I eat my
home grown tomatoes.

Paleo is what pulled me off the drugs. And it is simple.
Meat, fat, low carb plants. What you eat in order of precedence:
1) what you grow or catch yourself, 2) local grown, 3) organic
farmed, 4) as natural as you can get it. Don't obsess on it.
And, oh man I eat so well!

Plus, there is more to Paleo than food and exercise. There
is the walking barefoot, getting up and down with the sun,
spending time with loved ones, including meals together.

We all know that Grok (my favorite cave man) use to have to
chase his food. What we all miss is that he chased it with
his family, his friends, his tribe. We have so totally
lost this in our culture.

If anyone reading this catches T2, I keep a running list
of scientific research on tradition medicine (herbs) to
help heal the injury. If you can find me (ping Todd in the
subject line), I will send it to you.

By the way, speaking of loved ones, T2 is a family/tribe
issue. If anyone in your family/tribe/loved ones has
T2, YOUR EAT WHAT THEY EAT. (Well, at least in front of
them.) My wife made the decision to be on the exact diet
I was on when I got inducted into the pin cushion club.
She has been a total blessing (she is a trophy wife in
the truest meaning.)

I am teaching myself to cook. We eat together. Now to
get the grow it yourself down. (Me and my black thumb.)

The poison in truly in the dosage.

-T

No you are oversimplifying too much. The causes of type 2 diabetes are both
genetic and environmental. Having a parent who had it increases your chance
of getting it. The chance of getting it is also related to

- age
- overweight (particularly)
- lack of excercise.

Consumption of excessive carbohydrates is related to being overweight but is
by no means the whole story. You can have all the risk factors above on a
low carb diet if your ancestors had T2D, you are 60YO, gorge on fat and sit
on your arse all day.

Do not be confused because those who get T2D are told to manage their carb
intake as part of the treatment. This is related to controlling blood sugar
once insulin production becomes deficient which is not the same thing as
preventing T2D by not eating carbs.

If you want to be healthy and live to a ripe old age:

- have good ancestors (!)
- don't smoke
- maintain good weight
- excercise regularly
- eat a BALANCED diet
- don't worry (including about your carbs unless your doctor says so)

David