Old 31-05-2014, 12:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Let it be Let it be is offline

Default Jonathan Dimblebys knotweed advice

Kate wrote:
Hi

I was surprised by some advice in this weeks Spectator page 20 from
the broadcaster Jonathan Dimbleby:

"Beware of knotweed conmen. You don't need smoothies in Range Rovers,
white boiler suits and goggles who charge more than your house is
worth to get rid of the stuff. The weedkiller Roundup does just as
well for a fraction of the price."

Can this really be true?? I have always heard that it's nearly
impossible to get rid of!

Kate xx

Not sure what my brother-in-law used as a weed killer, but it took him over
10 years to eradicate the bloody stuff from his acre of garden in West
Wales.

The other problem he has been fighting is slugs attacking his Pembroke early
spuds and other veg for the last couple of years - and he can easily catch
and kill a couple of hundred of the beggars on a good night.