Old 31-05-2014, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Jonathan Dimblebys knotweed advice

On 30/05/2014 22:34, Pete C wrote:
On 30/05/2014 21:13, Martin Brown wrote:

A big house near where I lived as a child was full of the stuff
originally planted as a Victorian era ornamental. It now has houses with
no trace of this legendary invincible weed. You can kill it but it takes
a determined effort of chemical and physical attack. These days I don't
think you are allowed to ship any of the spoil off site.

ISTR the mite that renders it a lot less vigorous and benign in Japan is
about to be licensed for release or field trials in the UK.

And in 20 years we'll be looking for something to kill the mite!

Unlikely since the mite is very specific to the host plant and due to
the warmer climate of Japan barely able to survive our winters so it
will probably have to be farmed in greenhouses and re-released annually.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown