Old 31-05-2014, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
rbel rbel is offline

Default Overwintered surfinia

On Sat, 31 May 2014 07:17:54 +0100, Sacha

On 2014-05-30 22:02:05 +0000, rbel said:

On Fri, 30 May 2014 19:17:24 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

Echium fastuosum overwintered here and have flowered superbly. Ray did
cover them with horti fleece in case of frost but it was never a danger
in that particular bit of the garden. They've received a lot of
attention and comment and we're so glad they came through and have
performed so beautifully.

That's excellent, I do wish I could have some success with Echium. Ray
Brown has a group of pininana on the roadside outside his place at the
moment which are very spectacular.

Do they not like your soil or is it too wet for them? We have one E
piniana which plonked itself right on the edge of a narrow path. Ray
tied it back to a stake when it was still a youngster, so it's not
irritating people! It's been a very good year for Echiums, probably
because of the mild winter and warm spring. Ray (mine!) has been
taking cuttings of the E. fastuosum. It's one we got from Tresco and is
a particularly good blue, not wishy-washy. They're absolutely smothered
with bees, so that's gratifying in itself.

I have tried three times using varying proportions of JI and grit, the
last try was with a 50/50 mix butwith no success. Perhaps the JI is
too nutritious.
--
rbel