Old 01-06-2014, 01:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
phorbin phorbin is offline

Default ratcoon

In article , says...

I'm very careful with critters around here as rabies is endemic.
I don't want to be bitten or scratched by them.

My trap's the old cage with two doors which have to fall and lock by
gravity. Caught a raccoon last year and thought I might drown it.
I had an old plastic garbage can that I started to fill it with water
and did discover that tilting trap could open it. Having nearly filled
the can, it squished over and dumped the water. Figured the Lord did
not want me to drown him so I released him in the park.

I hear you. -- I don't kill anything when there's an alternative.

The flood plains/park system on the other side of the river receives my
deportees. They are far enough away from traffic and sheltered enough to have a
chance.

FWIW and for interest sake, Ontario has a bait vaccination program for
raccoons, foxes and skunks which appears to have worked very well.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/STDPROD_099025.html