Old 31-05-2014, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Overwintered surfinia

On 2014-05-30 16:59:06 +0000, philgurr said:

wrote in message
On Friday, May 30, 2014 10:52:05 AM UTC+1, Pam Moore wrote:
Hi again. I've been offline for several weeks!

A wall basket from last year containing surfinias and bacopa has

survived the winter and is blooming marvellous!!! Would normally only

just have planted it up!

Pam in Bristol

An amazingly mild winter.

I have Nasturtiums which over wintered, there was even a flower open on
New Years Day and they have been a mass of colour for the last few
weeks!

And up here in the far north of Scotland, I have numerous fibrous
rooted begonias coming through, a residue of last years summer
bedding. Never had that happen before!

Ardmhor

Echium fastuosum overwintered here and have flowered superbly. Ray did
cover them with horti fleece in case of frost but it was never a danger
in that particular bit of the garden. They've received a lot of
attention and comment and we're so glad they came through and have
performed so beautifully.

We have roses that have stayed in flower right through the whole winter. Our
Nashi pear trees have fruit this year, although gales blew a lot of the fruit
off again. We have one pear on one tree and five on the other.
Unfortunately all
five are close together on one very thin branch.

We looked at Ray's Nashi pear tonight. It has 7 fruits. The two young
Belle de Jersey pears have 19 between them. I doubt all will grow to
full size but I'm thrilled to see them. One has far more than the
other.Ray thinks they'll do even better next year. His elm tree is
growing mightily and has beautifully healthy foliage, so x fingers for
that, too.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com