Old 01-06-2014, 08:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Peter James[_6_] Peter James[_6_] is offline

Default Growing carrots

Once again I've embarked on the gardening "obstacle course" of
attempting to grow carrots.

Why is it that the professionals are allowed to use a chemical that
obviously deters carrot fly when the amateur is not?

Growing carrots has become a nightmare of obstacles, fleeces, fine
meshed nets and raised beds.

Here in Cornwall it is impossible to grow them without heavy protection
and it's got to the point where it's costing a small fortune in
materials just to grow a couple of rows, when chemical protection is
available but forbidden to us.

I used to use a dry powder that smelt of mothballs and was sprinkled in
the row, and that worked quite well. So well that the E.E.C. banned it.
Now that figures!

Peter

--
-
The e-mail address obviously doesn't exist. If it's essential