Old 02-06-2014, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback[_3_] Broadback[_3_] is offline

Default How can I make a rose shorter

On 01/06/2014 23:27, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Vir Campestris" wrote

Or to be exact - have branches lower down. It's climbing a house wall,
and has nothing green below head height.

I suspect the answer is cut off short next spring.

Bend some of the branches right down in the winter and tie them there.

I was told by a rose grower the answer is to feed and water well, then
they will branch from lower down, tend to these then gradually reduce
the higher ones. It has certainly worked from me, this is climber roses,
not ramblers.