Old 02-06-2014, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Transplanting wild orchids

"Malcolm" wrote

Bob Hobden writes
"Vir Campestris" wrote

Bee orchids to be exact. I left a few bits of lawn for the cowslips - and
this has popped up next to one. On closer search I have at least 5, and
I'd like to have them together - I don't want the whole lawn to be a
wildflower meadow _all_ year!

The roots have a necessary relationship with a wild fungus so any
disturbance to the roots will disturb this and cause problems for the
plant (read death).

It can be done, but you've probably got to move perhaps a foot of soil all
round and beneath to make certain of getting the mycorrhiza, too.

I often have seedlings of Dactylorhiza orchids (I have some in pots) come up
in my Pleione orchid pots and when I repot them I use the old Pleione soil
to pot them up and they grow and flower in that with no problems. Every time
I then try to plant them out in the garden without disturbing the soil they
are in they die.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.