Old 02-06-2014, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
rbel rbel is offline

Default Transplanting wild orchids

On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 20:53:24 +0100, Vir Campestris
wrote:

Bee orchids to be exact. I left a few bits of lawn for the cowslips -
and this has popped up next to one. On closer search I have at least 5,
and I'd like to have them together - I don't want the whole lawn to be a
wildflower meadow _all_ year!

We have both Common spotted and Pyramidal orchids in one of our
wildflower beds. Two of them were moved from an adjacent lawn (for the
same reason as you mention) and another from a pot of something else
growing in the pond margin. As the whole area was mixed woodland
prior to being developed the soil and growing conditions are identical
so they are doing well, although a badger dug the Pyramidal clump up
last year which seems to have upset it a bit.
--
rbel