Old 03-06-2014, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Shredder for Holly clippings

On 03/06/2014 10:36, wrote:
We're about to move house and one of the first jobs I will have to do is trim the holly hedge that surrounds the property. It's a bit of a monster, probably about 50m in length and about 3m tall so is going to produce a ton of clippings which I will need to dispose of. I was thinking of shredding them to save space but most of the shredder reviews I've seen don't seem to work too well on fresh/green stuff and I really don't want this lying around for weeks whilst I wait for it to go brown!

Can anyone recommend a shredder that will cope with the fresh clippings and the odd thicker branch but will also not break the bank.

I suppose the only other alternative is to burn them, does holly burn well ?

Thanks

I recently shredded a small amount of holly using an old JCB shredder.
I can't say it had any problem. Remember too that holly leaves are
pretty tough, even when young, and nothing like the soft green leaves of
most trees and shrubs.

The main problem with the shredder is the daft collection system, which
is inefficient and too small. And if you forget to empty it frequently
enough, the shredder will soon let you know by jamming. Then it's a
time-wasting dismantling job.

--

Jeff