Old 03-06-2014, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Shredder for Holly clippings

"'Mike'" wrote in message ...

wrote in message

We're about to move house and one of the first jobs I will have to do is
trim the holly hedge that surrounds the property. It's a bit of a monster,
probably about 50m in length and about 3m tall so is going to produce a ton
of clippings which I will need to dispose of. I was thinking of shredding
them to save space but most of the shredder reviews I've seen don't seem to
work too well on fresh/green stuff and I really don't want this lying around
for weeks whilst I wait for it to go brown!

Can anyone recommend a shredder that will cope with the fresh clippings and
the odd thicker branch but will also not break the bank.

I suppose the only other alternative is to burn them, does holly burn well ?

Thanks

We have a Bosch AXT Rapid 2200. That with a 20 litre x 26 cm high and 37 cm
diam plastic pot under the chute, works a treat on all sorts out of our
mixed hedge, including Holly and Bay and general prunings. Easy to clear
when it gets blocked and easy to sharpen the blades. Blades are double sided
so when one side gets blunt just turn them over. I had 4 spare blades and
have a good old sharpening session every so often. Works hard even though we
only have a small garden, we take in neighbours trimmings and shred them for
the compost. Highly recommended I would have another one tomorrow. Had an
internal plate 'thing' break, went on the Internet, found the drawings and
part number, ordered it and fitted it with minimum of trouble

Had a JCB before. They should have stuck to their tractor shovels

Mike

Further my previous posting, this is what I have got and with the experience
I have, it will serve you well

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Rapid-...pr_product_top

Mike

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk