Old 04-06-2014, 12:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Seed life

SteveB wrote:
On 6/3/2014 10:22 AM, Todd wrote:
On 06/03/2014 06:22 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:
In article
Todd writes:
On 06/02/2014 08:34 PM, Drew Lawson wrote:
In article
Todd writes:

We have a school teacher friend that does lunch duty.
The lunch room required a serving (plastic cup with
a lid) of vegies with every meal. Collards and Kale.
Pretty much the closest thing to toxic waste you could
legally get away with feeding a kid. YUK!

Dear god! They are poisoning out kids with, um,
fresh vegetables?

Hi Drew,

Cooked to a paste. How in the world do you consider
that fresh? I bet a cock roach wouldn't even eat it!

And, pay more attention, it is the type and preparation
I am criticizing, not fresh vegis.

You specified nothing more than "Collards and Kale."
You wrote nothing regarding the preparation.
I cannot pay attention to what you do not write.

Hi Drew,

If you had read the whole letter, it was pretty clear
from context that I am a big advocate of fresh,
local grown organic vegi's. You really should have
read the whole letter before jumping to conclusions.

Had you only read the part about "Collards and Kale"
(a terrible choice for kids) and you happen to like
that kind of cafeteria stuff, maybe I can see your point,
although I did call it toxic waste. Maybe you
you were not able to visualize a plastic cup
filled with boiled down collards and kale. Or, maybe
you like your vegi's that way. To each, his own.

-T

I like to yard sale. I found this big green juicer for $25, and they
retail for about $250. Champion brand. My wife then believed that
anything worth doing was worth obsessing over. She got juicing books.

Her first concoction was some dark green glop with about 12
ingredients. She lines us up military style for our dose. The kids
wailed,"Do I have to drink this?" Well, you don't challenge the
queen. They took a sip, and ran gagging towards the closest rest
room.

I suggested she taste it, if it was so good for us. Maybe the kids
were just being kids, and didn't realize what a good thing this was.
She looked at me as, "HOW DARE YOU QUESTION THE QUEEN, THE QUEEN
DOESN'T HAVE TO TASTE ANYTHING!" She took a healthy mouthful, and
lucky she was close to the sink. She got some in the sink, the rest
on the walls, counter top, floor, and down the front of her, along
with what looked like a little breakfast. I was the last to taste
it, and I just describe it as battery acid with a hint of lemon. She
harumphed, "Needs more spinach."

After that, we regularly made carrot juice, apple juice, grapefruit
juice, grape juice, and several things that were quite good.
Applesauce made in it was good. I mostly made it, because what I
made was very simple, and didn't have hidden nasty tasting things
like kale and spinach and leftover peelings. The kids liked MY
juice, which just aggravated the situation. I once took on an orange
skin hue from drinking too much carrot juice, which I love when made
with young small thin carrots. Very sweet.

Most "health" foods (translates to overpriced and overrated) don't do
much more than just a balanced diet. Yes, cooking it less, and
cooking the skin gives it more value, but there is no magic bullet.
I get amused by local AM radio shows who have some "expert" on it who
makes it sound like there is some magic ingredients that no one but
they have access to, and they spout huge words to describe their
expensive products. Ah, if we would only do what THEY say, our
cancers and all other manner of afflictions would go away by noon
tomorrow.

There is nowhere a disclaimer that one should clear this with one's
doctor. I am a lifetime coumadin patient, with an artificial heart
valve. Kale and spinach are BAD for me. It could be bad for lots of
others who listen to this claptrap on the radio, and who take this and
have severe reactions or complications.

So, as with everything, results may vary, and ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT
ALL. If you find a balanced diet that YOU like, stick to it, and let
the naysayers eat all the latest magic food du jour, and fad diet
that they will prove next year killed hundreds of people. Common
sense isn't very common any more.

Steve

You need to be careful with that common sense stuff it can get a bad name.