Old 04-06-2014, 06:49 AM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Strawberry runners

On Wednesday, May 28, 2014 9:44:21 PM UTC-7, Higgs Boson wrote:
Late with everything this year, so bought some strawberry plants.

2 Sequoia ever-bearing (I think) - standard here in So. Calif.

2 .June bearing. Nursery guy said not limited to June in this climate.

The Junies have runners galore. I was taught that one should cut off the runners for plant to retain "strength", and that runners could be planted to get new plant.Or should I plant them far apart so runners can root themselves?

Nursery guy thought don't cut off runners. Does he know what he's talking about?

Been a few years since I grew strawberries. Rusty as to best practices.

EHow says: Strawberry growers often plant June-bearing strawberries in a matted row system with about 4 feet of space between each row to allow runners to develop. Everbearing strawberries can grow effectively in a hill system with plants growing closer together with runners removed as they appear.