Old 04-06-2014, 01:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default It's songbird's fault

bluechick wrote:
The more I examined what may have gone wrong, and what may have been
the true culprit, I'm beginning to suspect the plants themselves had a
problem, even though they looked fine when we bought them, and the
heat may have tipped them over the edge. For one thing, I had two
peppers in a whisky barrel. The green bell wilted while the red bell
wasn't affected. I checked my gardening database after I posted here
and I noted that all the peppers that died in the whisky barrels and
all but one in the small bed, were bought at one garden shop. Same
for the basil. The red bell was purchased elsewhere. The monkey
wrench in my logic is one plant that died in the raised bed was
purchased elsewhere. Yet, the basil I grew from seed, planted next to
the store bought basil plants, is perfectly fine. We used the same
soil mix in the herb bed, the raised bed in the veggie garden and in
the planters. So, it's still a mystery.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions and tips. I'll see if I can
narrow down the culprit(s). I hope it's not diseased soil, too.

you're welcome, sorry couldn't be more
precise. too many variables to know what is
going on at a distance...

from the sounds of it i would say it was the
plants/supplier. we've had pretty good luck
with the greenhouse here that we like for our
starts. we're very short on space here in the
house so it makes sense for us to just get
them from the greenhouse instead of trying to
find a place for them.

songbird