Old 04-06-2014, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Jonathan Dimblebys knotweed advice

"Phlorum" wrote in message

Kate;1002682 Wrote:
Hi

I was surprised by some advice in this weeks Spectator page 20 from the

broadcaster Jonathan Dimbleby:

"Beware of knotweed conmen. You don't need smoothies in Range Rovers,
white boiler suits and goggles who charge more than your house is worth

to get rid of the stuff. The weedkiller Roundup does just as well for a

fraction of the price."

Can this really be true?? I have always heard that it's nearly
impossible
to get rid of!

Kate xx

Has anyone on here actually tried it? I've never heard of it actually
working...

--

Japanese Knotweed Removal - 'Environmental Agency | environmental issues

--
Phlorum

Yes round up works and works well, but you will need more than one season,
the worst thing you can do is try and dig anywhere near it as it causes the
root system to sucker and run even more than normal.

The main snag is that you are going to kill a lot of surrounding vegetation
if spraying, so the rather more laborious cut and squirt down hollow stems
method is a better bet for gardens.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs