Old 04-06-2014, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Judith in England Judith in England is offline

Default When to water

On Tue, 3 Jun 2014 22:32:25 +0100, Roger Tonkin wrote:

I have an automatic watering system for the greenhouse. It is
fairly basic and allows me to water once or twice a day at two
different times.

Last year I watered for an hour in the evening (7.00pm), this
year I'm doing half an hour am (6.00am) and half an hour in the
evening (6.00pm).

What do others do? Which is best?

I have tomatoes and cucumbers in the green house and raised beds with various
things in.

I have mine come on for half an hour during the night: drippers in greenhouse
and sprays/sprinklers on raised beds.

The raised beds are well drained - and I find for my purposes the half-hour is
just right - things do not get water-logged but are adequately watered.