Old 04-06-2014, 11:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default It's songbird's fault

George Shirley wrote:
I do grow figs and I've planted 3 blueberries which I hope will
produce next summer. I have lots of different varieties of
raspberries but can't get to them before some animal eats them. I
suspect mice or rats. I have lots of strawb plants and yet only
got about 3 berries this year - same suspected mongrel animal getting the
ripe fruit - either
mice, rats or possibly blue tongued lizards.

I too grow lots a herbs largely because I like to cook.

I've eaten mice and rats and know what they taste like (think military
survival course). How does a blue tongued lizard taste? Anything like
iguana? G

Dunno. Some indigenes of my aquaintance tell me goanna (a local type of
lizard) is very tasty. But if you have been chasing bush tucker through the
bush all day just about anything would be tasty come dinner time. Of course
all these native animals are legally protected unlike placental rats and
mice.