Old 05-06-2014, 07:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.birdwatching
harryagain[_2_] harryagain[_2_] is offline

Default Stopping mice climbing

"d ryan" wrote in message
We have been feeding Robins with finely chopped peanuts (salt washed off)
and porridge oats. The mice have found it and brazenly come out in day
time to eat it.

To deter the mice we cut out the sides of a one pint plastic milk carton,
and fixed it to a bamboo garden cane about one metre high, but this
morning found what look like mice droppings in the new arrangement.

Can mice climb a single vertical garden bamboo cane only about four
millimeters in diameter? Or might these be Robin droppings?

Would there be a simple way to stop mice climbing up a bamboo stick?

Easy to climb for a mouse.

To stop it, you need an "inverted funnel" on the cane. Cut one out from a
plastic drinks bottle.

The birds chuck a lot of food on the ground so mice will still be around.