Old 07-06-2014, 02:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default It's songbird's fault

bluechick wrote:

I've grown both "Mexican tarragon" and "Texas tarragon". Everything
I've read seems to indicate that they're the same plant, both billed
as Tagetes lucinda, but they aren't the same. I've learned that there
are two varieties of Tagetes lucinda, one that is tall and one that is
short. No other differences are noted.

What's being sold here as "Mexican tarragon" is not worth growing. It
never comes back after the first year even though it's supposed to be
a perennial, has thin curly leaves with a sprawling growth habit,
flowers in late spring, and has only a hint of tarragon flavor. It's
more like a scrawny marigold. My two "Texas tarragon" plants are
absolutely perennials, grow upright, have long 3-in. straight leaves
that are anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide, have a strong tarragon
flavor and don't bloom until late summer. I've been able to find it
at only one local nursery. I got a second one from them this year, 5
years after getting the first one from them. Everyone else around
here has the Mexican variety I mentioned above. It's an entirely
different plant and I'll be damned if I can find any book or website
that makes note of the difference. In my experience growing it,
Mexican tarragon and Texas tarragon are not interchangeable.

I grow targetes taragon, here it is called 'winter' taragon. I don't know
why as it dies back each winter. But it comes up each spring and if used
fresh it is quite pungent and tasty. I cannot grow French taragon, too
finicky in my heavy soil.

I've tried Russian tarragon and I don't remember if I liked it or not.
I do wish French would grow well here but it hates our climate. Last
time I grew it I had to treat it as an annual and it didn't do well.

Same here. The Russian sort is a waste of time no flavour.