Old 07-06-2014, 07:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default need zuke sprout pruning advice

Higgs Boson wrote:

It is said that you should only sow cucurbits directly as they resent

transplanting. What they resent is root disturbance. You can avoid
this

problem and wasting seed by planting in tubes, the tapered
square-section

plastic kind about 12 cm (5 in) tall, that sit in a rack. They are
often

used to raise tree and shrub seedlings. Plant one seed per tube and
plant

out when the true leaves open. With care the soil plug with roots
and all

will slide out in one chunk and can be planted with no root
disturbance.

Have never seen this Up Here. Any USA-ians know about product, what
it's called, and where get it?

TIA

HB

They come in round-section and square-section. I prefer square as the roots
don't go round and round. They also come in a fixed tray with many holes or
where each is separate and they sit in a rack. I prefer the latter as they
are easier to handle and to extract the plug one at a time.

I have hundreds that came with buying tubestock. They are called that
because they come in tubes, perhaps you call them nursery tubes or forestry
tubes.

http://www.arborgreen.com.au/product...mm,-720pk.html

Most hits seem to be in Oz, maybe they haven't made it to the world yet.