Old 07-06-2014, 03:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default It's songbird's fault

I'm rather at the other end of "difficulty growing tarragon" (Zone 4)
but I do generally keep some going. Lost it all a year ago and reaped
the rewards of being generous with it - got some back from a friend I
had split some off to. It's marginal to make through the winter, so I
try to maintain it in many different spots so that I have better odds of
at least one making it - and it wants to be split regularly anyway lest
it gets rootbound, so that works. Despite being rather harsh, this
winter didn't finish off the returned splits. AFAIK it's French - both
the original label and the lack of flowers concur on that point. Major
pest is foaming aphids.

Harvest-wise we've got nothing going yet other than a FEW Asparagus.
(and the bumper crop of weeds, including the crop-weed catnip) but
various things are coming along. I planted garlic WAY late for me
(December, I think) and it actually did the textbook thing of not really
sprouting until spring, where I usually have 6" high garlic sticking out
of the snow. The result of last year's experiment with cutting/leaving
scapes has put me in the cutting scapes camp for now. I've got the head
of heirloom (someone's Grandma's) garlic I was given two years ago up to
34 plants, and am growing 50 Spanish Roja, with a few survivors of last
year's flood that took out the mutt-garlic (unknown non-scaping) bed
coming back up there, but I'm leaning towards giving up on the
mutt-garlic, as it's been dwindling on me, which was why I got the SR
three years back.

Strawberries took a major hit either from the winter or from the
side-effects of the winter (I don't know if they were killed or eaten,
that is.) Raspberries and blueberries look good, cherries & plums look
good now but usually find a way to disappoint me before it's eating
time, hops need more room to grow. Grapes are somewhat in there with the
cherries and plums - more than usual dieback, I did get them pruned in
the winter, they look good now, on the rare occasion they make much
fruit the raccoons usually take it. I'm pretty sure I need to do more
management during the growing season, but I'm also pretty sure they'd
simply like more sun and I'm not seeing a way I can do that.

One of the Filazels took a big hit from EF Blight (I'd guess) last year,
but it's not all dead, and the others look fine, though the squirrels
get nearly all of those. Two shallots (from the food supply side of
things) that were sprouting got planted and are growing - they are
throwing scapes or flowers - should I cut those off, or not? My "Hybrid
'shallots' from seed" experiment of a year or two ago was pretty
disappointing, so I'm hoping for better luck from these "appear to be
actual shallots."